Thursday, August 03, 2006
Curl Up & Dye

ok, so long time no blog.

i know. so shut up already.

we've had interesting developments, wonderful interesting developments in allieland.

and to get to those, you're gonna have to deal with a little backstory...then some front story.

I had a weird career goal as a kid. I wanted to be a makeup artist on “all my children” ( I swear, in my most recent past life I HAD to be a gay man…and he’s been kicking and screaming to get out ever since ) I think it’s no secret that since then I’ve been a total ‘beauty’ junkie.

Momma DO love her cosmetics, hair products, and nail stuffs.

When it came time to decide on an actual career goal, that industry was something I totally wanted to do. One small problem, the parents were NOT having it. They both educated and worked themselves out of lower socioeconomic backgrounds firmly into the middle/upper middle class and they were NOT having their only child “ do hair”.

Now, believe this or not, I’m a TOTAL people pleaser ( or was at least ) and let my dream of a profession in this industry fall by the wayside.{ But as anyone ( ie, the numbers, the gays, and my bff C ) can tell you, I have/had SO SO SO much product I could have styled All My Children, As The World Turns, and Guiding Light ( my shows of choice as a child ) } ANYWAY, I did the ‘right’ thing, got a bachelor of science degree in social services, and went to work.

I worked as a caseworker/ case manager / senior worker… whatever, for about 11 years with varying degrees of success, but this nagging feeling that I was NOT doing what I was put here to do was still pulling at my heart. I left my last job in a VERY bad place, betrayed, deceived, lied to, it was bad, seriously bad…like if I didn’t believe in karma I’d wish terrible things and MEAN it, about someone I used to call friend. ( but that’s another story for another day)

SO, fast forward to about a month ago.

I started cosmetology school

And I fuckin’ rock it right.

It’s so what I’m supposed to be doing. I feel creative, and free, and talented, and happy.

Like really happy, like peaceful, things don’t freak me out happy.

Things like people making “beauty school dropout” and “ they’re always hiring diesel truck owner/operators too, try that out” type comments .. cause you know what, it doesn’t have to be for them, It’s for me, and it’s so me.

I am so happy when I have those tools in my hands, the irons, the dryers, the color…..i’ve always been a crafter, now I can admit that I’m an artist, and this is my art.

And I’ve learned something else.

Do what makes you happy. No matter what anyone else thinks.

If you’ve waited on doing something you want to do because of what someone else might think, do not wait one more minute. I don’t regret my degree, or the work that I did, it helped me decide what I don't want and … it makes doing this now even more sweet.

And it’s more than sweet, it’s delicious.


posted by Allie @ 8/03/2006 08:06:00 PM
|

10 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Tasty said...

SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU. And for me, because I get to be your friend. Yay you, yay you.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

baby, i cant wait for you to "get in there and bang some hair"



i am all swole up with pride.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Good for you!
I'm happy for you and wish we lived closer so you could make me look purty.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Amy S. Petrik said...

...wait where have i been? you quit your social work and joined the hair world? i need to do something THAT bawlsy. good for you. peace and love and i got a new site. amy

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

back off, bitches. her first order of business is to do something with my "unfortunate but could be really cute if allie would just get her ass to kentucky" bangs situation.

then you may proceed with the adoration of allie.... but bangs come first. that's lesson #1 in Bangin' Hair University. (which allie will own by the end of semester 2)(because she rocks hard core, that Dream Follower Girl)

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Amy S. Petrik said...

...hey thanks for the tiny chat via email. somehow you have motivated me to get off my ass and leave the safe zone. peace sister.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Dave Nichols said...

See how much better it is when you let the gay man trapped inside you out.

And since no one else has called it here in writing, I've got dibs after Lola. My hair sucks right now.


Lots of Love

P.S.- Being a man, I am fully aware that my "dibs after Lola" really means "dibs after the numbers and whoever else is in line." Just let me have my fantasy. I promise not to get disappointed.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Allie said...

dave, you may be a boy, but you're one of our favorite boys....and you're married to a number, that helps push you towards the front of the line ( still behind the actual numbers of course ... but still - that's not nothin!!)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

youre BLOGOVERSARY was on the 6th, by the by.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Miss Pickle said...

That is awesome! So happy for you...I only wish that you could work your magic on my hair!

Thanks for the inspiration...I am going *immediately* to look at sighning up for photography courses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta-ish, Georgia, United States

*Rockstar *Hairbanger *Queen

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com