Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Creamy Bible Goodness aka. Phone fun with Tasty.

2 women on the phone shrieking with laugher, and the woman on the other end of the phone says to me some of my favorite words “you are the funniest girl I know, write this down”

we decided we’d work together and combine the funny while following on the theme of the evening. As you may or may not know, we’re both Jesus freaks…both in an Anne lamott kinda way – mine is a little more new agey, (Stacey’s {I am talking about Stacey here} is a wonderful headpin of conservative written in red Jesus-ness …. And allowing her inner new age nightmare that is pushing her way out..) Anyway, as the Lord has the best sense of humor going and as we turned to the scripture, we found the funny.

The bible is a great source of guidelines, parables, Truths, and just plain ol’ good ideas. Here’s one of ‘em … and how men with their simple minds, limit what a great guideline this little nugget of scripture tells us.

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[b]? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my 14Do not be yoked together people." 2 Corinthians 6:14 (New International Version)


Now among the folks down here in the buckle of the bible belt – that is taken to mean strictly that a believer should not marry a non believer – since it’ll never work out ….and in theory it’s not an awful idea – BUT I know many a husband that say, refuses to eat mushrooms, and yet the wife loves em…and little by little sneaks ‘em in there – and before you know it – folks, we got us a mushroom eater. I think you’ll find Jesus can work the same way – but that’s a different story for a different day.


Stacey and I giggled about “equally yoked”….and of course we had our own definitions of “equally yoked”

1. You should have equal vocabulary skills. Example: At the last numbers summit, a boy called my house and I made a wise crack ( insert shock here ) and started giggling, he didn’t get what I was laughing about and I said “never mind, it was just a euphemism” his response. “ I don’t know what euphemism means.” Seriously, do we need a better example?

2. Sometimes we find the deepest truths in movies. Case in point “What about Bob?” Here’s the nugget of wisdom than can help determine yoked-ness. “ there are 2 kinds of people in the world, those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don’t”

3. Operate under the belief that white people can/should sing the blues? ( and sidebar, I’m not convinced that Taylor Hicks ain’t black, and I mean that as a very good thing)

4. Are you the kinda person that says “bless you” when someone, ANYONE sneezes? I think you can tell a lot about a person with this simple nicety.

5. Are both people clinically depressed moody motherfuckers? Cause seriously, if you are, it won’t work. One person needs to be stable. Trust me.


So these are a FEW of my examples of “equally yoked” …. Think I’ll be asked to teach VBS this summer?

posted by Allie @ 5/16/2006 08:56:00 PM
|

2 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

too bad i am not yoke-able

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Tasty said...

You know my new favorite phrase is "creamy Bible goodness."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta-ish, Georgia, United States

*Rockstar *Hairbanger *Queen

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com